Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed With Creamy Kale And Mushrooms
This baked acorn squash with baby kale and mushroom sauce is so addictive, you’ll be scraping the bottom and fighting for the last bit of chewy melted cheese!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup baby kale (finely chopped)
- 1/2 small red onion
- 8 button mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 200 ml 2% milk
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese such as Italian Five Cheese, Mozzarella or Monterey Jack
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Slice the top of the acorn squash and set aside – you will be using it as a lid later on.
- Scoop out the seeds and put the squash, along with the top, facing down on a cooking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 40 minutes.
- In a pan over medium high heat, add olive oil, kale, onions and mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, until mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add butter and stir.
- Sprinkle flour while constantly stirring and cook for one minute.
- Slowly add milk while stirring and cook until sauce thickens. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper and transfer mixture to a bowl. Set aside.
- Take acorn squash out of the oven and transfer the top part to a plate. Set aside.
- Spoon the kale and mushrooms sauce into the squash and top with cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil and broil for 4-5 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and bubbling. Top with the lid and serve.
Keywords: recipe, appetizer, main, easy