Spaghetti Squash Yakisoba Style
This spaghetti squash yakisoba style recipe is so delicious, you won’t miss the noodles at all! This is a healthy and yummy alternative to using carbs as the main vehicle for texture and flavor.
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 26 minutes
- Total Time: 36 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 1 1/2 pound spaghetti squash
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 10 shiitake mushrooms (or button mushrooms)
- 2 stalks scallions (finely chopped)
- 1 cup coleslaw mix of carrots and cabbage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or other neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon dried red chile (chopped (optional))
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce or regular soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Place spaghetti squash on a microwave safe plate or other microwave safe container. Place the cut side down (skin facing up). Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Take the spaghetti squash out of the microwave and shred with a fork. If the squash is still hard, microwave for another 2-3 minutes, or until tender.
- Use a fork and scrape the flesh into strings.
- In a large pan over high heat, add vegetable oil and onions. Cook for 3 minutes or until onions are soft. Add coleslaw mix and red chile and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add shiitake mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add spaghetti squash, scallions and sauce, and mix well until the sauce has evenly coated all the vegetables. Cook for 2 minutes and turn the heat off.
- Transfer to a bowl, top with sesame seeds and serve.
This Spaghetti Squash Yakisoba will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Keywords: recipe, vegetarian, vegan, side, low carb