Silken tofu in a mushrooms, soy, mirin broth topped with grated ginger and chives. A fancy and delightful tofu recipe!
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:5 minutes
Total Time:20 minutes
14 ounce silken tofu
1/4 cup daikon (grated)
2 tablespoons chives (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons ginger (peeled and grated)
1/4 cup cilantro (leaves picked)
a few slices green pepper ((optional))
nori sheet (shredded)
For the mushroom sauce:
1 cup shiitake mushrooms (julienned)
1 cup dashi
1 tablespoon light soy
1 tablespoon soy
3 tablespoons mirin
1/2 tablespoon katakuriko (potato starch) mixed with 1 tablespoon water
– Drain and wrap tofu in a few sheets of paper towel (or cloth, tea towel) for a few minutes to remove excess water. Repeat 5 times.
– Slice tofu into 8 small blocks. Set aside.
– In a small pan over high heat combine dashi, light soy, soy, mirin and mushrooms. Bring to a boil and add potato starch mixed with water. Stir and lower heat. Keep stirring until sauce thickens – this shouldn’t take more than a minute or two.
– Turn the heat off.
– Divide all the ingredients into 4 shallow bowls with tofu in the center.
– Equally pour mushroom sauce around tofu and top with a little nori.
– Serve immediately.
Serves 4 appetizer size bowls.
Add a little ichimi pepper for heat.