- Grab a piece of saran wrap and place about 1.5 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) of rice in the center. Seal and shape the rice into a ball. Squeeze tightly when making the ball but not so tight that the rice is being mashed.
- Take the rice ball out of the saran wrap and place it on a plate. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap.
- Repeat this step until all the rice is used.
- Now comes the fun part! This is where you get to be creative and create beautiful toppings for your temari sushi. Think colorful and use vegetable cutters to make fun shapes.
- When decorating temari sushi, place the flat ingredients such as shiso leaf, sliced cucumber, sliced tuna, radishes, in saran wrap and top with a sushi ball. Wrap the plastic wrap around the termari sushi and twist it to close. This helps the toppings adhere to the rice, preventing them from falling off.
- Take the temari sushi out of the plastic wrap, place on a serving plate and finish decorating with toppings. Repeat until all the temari sushi are decorated. Always make sure to cover the plate with a damp kitchen towel or plastic wrap to prevent the rice from drying.
- Refrigerate for no more than 1 hour as the texture of the rice will not be pleasant once it’s hard.
Prepping for this recipe:
It’s best to have all the ingredients ready to use to make the cooking process easy. Since temari sushi is best served fresh, cut all the toppings ahead of time so you can quickly make them.