Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
A smoky, rich and comforting Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe that is sure to become your winter warmer upper. 5 minutes of kitchen prep is all it takes!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 240 minutes
- Total Time: 245 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 people 1x
- Category: Soups
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3 slices Canadian bacon (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 9 cups water
- 1 pound dry yellow split peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped flat leaf parsley for topping
- Slow Cooker Method:
- Put all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Stove Top Method:
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add olive oil and onions and cook for 3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add Canadian bacon and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrot and celery and stir well.
- Add water and yellow split peas and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat off, season with salt and pepper and top with chopped parsley. Serve hot.
This Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe will keep refrigerated for up to 3-4 days.
Keywords: recipe, comfort food, appetizer