Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
This Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe delivers on the gooey, savory perfection of grilled cheese and the sweetness of French Toast. Ready in 10 minutes from start to finish!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Sandwiches
- Cuisine: French
- 2 large eggs
- pinch salt and pepper
- 4 slices whole grain bread (thickness of regular sliced bread)
- 2 tablespoons creamy dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 6 slices turkey (or ham)
- 4 slices Gouda or Gruyere cheese
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Maple syrup (for topping)
- Whisk eggs in a shallow dish big enough to fit the bread. Season with a little salt and pepper and set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches: evenly spread mustard, mayonnaise, turkey and cheese and close each sandwich.
- In a pan over medium high heat, add butter and extra virgin olive oil.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture and add to the pan. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until sandwiches are golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Transfer to a plate, season with salt and pepper and serve topped with maple syrup or honey.
This Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe is:
High in calcium
High in vitamin B6
Keywords: recipe, main, lunch, snack