Mashed Potato Cakes
These mashed potato cakes are crispy on the outside, fluffy and pillowy on the inside. Perfect with leftover mashed potatoes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 8 potato cakes
- Category: Holiday / Leftovers
- Method: Pan-Fried
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups cold or room temperature mashed potatoes
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix mashed potatoes, egg, garlic, scallions, salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and use your hands to form 1/2-inch thick patties.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add oil.
- Coat each patty with flour and add to the pan. You may need to do this in two batches (my pan could only handle 4 patties at a time).
- Cook on each side for about 6 minutes, or until golden brown, flip the patties and cook again for about the same amount of time.
- Transfer to a plate and serve.
These pan fried mashed potato cakes taste best right out of the pan – but will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Keywords: Recipe, side dish, appetizer, leftovers, holiday, healthy, vegetarian