How To Make Limoncello
Make your own Limoncello this holiday season with just 3 ingredients! Serve it with soda and a splash of cranberry juice or bottle it up for the cutest and cheeriest homemade gift!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Italian
- 10 lemons
- 750 ml vodka (at least 80 proof – like Smirnoff or Absolute)
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar (add an extra 1/2sugar for a sweeter limoncello)
- 2 cup water
- Wash the lemons using a brush and a little soap to remove the waxy layer and pesticides. Rinse well and dry with a cloth.
- Zest the lemon using a zester or peeler and gently peel the skin. Try to peel as little of the white part as possible as it will add unwanted bitterness to your limoncello.
- Put the zest in a 1 liter jar and add vodka. Seal and let sit for 10 to 40 days in a dark, cool place. The longer it sits, the better and more flavorful the Limoncello will be.
- Put a coffee filter in a strainer and strain the flavored vodka into a bowl or jar.
- Put the granulated sugar and water in a pot on low and stir until sugar had melted. Let cool to room temperature.
- Add sugar syrup to the flavored vodka and stir.
- Using a funnel, pour the limoncello into a bottle or several small bottles for individual gifts.
- How to serve Limoncello:
- Use 1oz limoncello per drink and serve with seltzer, cranberry juice, fresh lemon juice or lemonade.
There are roughly 35 shots in this recipe. Serving size is 1oz (1 shot).
Keywords: recipe, cocktail, alcohol, Christmas, holiday season, apperitif