French Stuffed Baked Apples
A delicious dessert that hails from the French country side, these stuffed baked apples are sweet, tender and stuffed with nutritious ingredients. They are scrumptious!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 Stuffed Apples
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French country
- 2 tablespoons sliced almond
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 12 pitted prunes
- 4 Honeycrisp, Jonagold, Golden Delicious apples
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons raw organic honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- confectionary sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Put almonds and walnuts in a skillet and toast them over low heat, until they are slightly brown. Turn the heat off and transfer them to a bowl. Add prunes, ground cinnamon, allspice, honey and lemon juice to the bowl and mix well.
- Slice off the top of each apple, just below the stems (leave the stems on) and set aside. Remove the core of each apple with a wide corer or a paring knife.
- Stuff each apple with the prune mixture and put the apple tops back on.
- Place the apples in a cake pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes and remove the foil. Bake for an additional 10-20 minutes, until golden brown and soft.
- Turn the heat off and place the apples on a serving plate. Stick a cinnamon stick inside the apples and sprinkle the top with confectionary sugar and serve.
This French Stuffed Baked Apple recipe will keep refrigerated for up to 1 day.
Keywords: recipe, snack, healthy, Christmas, Thanksgiving, vegetarian, gluten-free