Easy Pho Soup Recipe
Slurp your noodles with abandon in 30 minutes with this Easy Pho Soup Recipe! A quick, satisfying and full-flavor version of Vietnam’s national dish.
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Pho soup broth
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion (peeled and halved)
- 1 3-inch piece ginger (peeled)
- 1 quart low sodium beef broth (946ml)
- 2 cups water
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Noodles and toppings
- 4 ounces dry flat rice noodles
- 1/4 small onion (thinly sliced into half moons)
- 1/3 pound sirloin or London broil steak (cut into ⅛ inch slices (putting the steak in the freezer about 15–20 minutes prior to cutting makes it easier to slice))
- 2 stalks scallions (thinly sliced on the bias)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 6–8 mint leaves
- 6–8 basil leaves
- 6–8 sprigs cilantro
- 1 lime (sliced into wedges)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (thinly sliced)
- In a medium size pot over high heat, add oil, onion halves (cut side down) cinnamon stick and ginger and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all other ingredients for the broth and bring to a boil. Stir, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes (uncovered).
- Meanwhile, cover the rice noodles with hot water and soak for 8 minutes (or follow instructions on the package). Drain and set aside.
- Discard onion, star anise, cloves, ginger and cinnamon stick.
- Divide noodles evenly among two bowls and pour broth over them. Finish by adding toppings of your choice. Serve immediately.
This Easy Pho Soup Recipe is:
High in manganese
Very high in niacin
High in thiamin
Very high in vitamin C
Keywords: recipe, noodle soup, soup, noodles, Asian