Creamy Vegan Carbonara
A healthy vegan carbonara recipe that tastes so indulgent you will think you are digging into a bowl of creamy cheesy pasta!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Noodles
- Cuisine: Vegan
For the carbonara sauce:
- 8 ounces Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Soft, drained
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2/3 cup sauerkraut brine
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the smoked mushrooms:
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 7 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound dry spaghetti or thin spaghetti
- 1 cup pasta water
Handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
For the carbonara sauce
- Put the Mori-Nu Silken Tofu, grated garlic, sauerkraut brine, nutritional yeast, red miso paste, smoked paprika, and salt in a blender, and blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Lower the speed to low and slowly add olive oil. Turn off the blender and taste the sauce. Season with more nutritional yeast or salt if needed.
For the mushrooms
- Put the mushrooms, smoked paprika, salt and olive oil in a bowl and mix well.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add mushrooms and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until mushrooms are golden brown and caramelized. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
For the pasta
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- When the water is boiling, add your pasta and cook according to the directions on the package. We use thin spaghetti which is al dente in 5 minutes.
- Fill a cup with pasta water and set it aside.
- Drain your pasta but do not rinse.
Assembling the vegan carbonara
- Return pasta to the pot and pour the carbonara sauce over. Toss well and add mushrooms. Toss well again.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley. Add pasta water if you prefer a creamier texture.
This creamy vegan carbonara pasta will keep refrigerated for up to 4-5 days.
Keywords: recipe, vegetarian, plant based, meatless, dairy-free, pasta, dinner, main