Chicken Tinola Recipe (Filipino)
Easy, light and savory – this is a classic Filipino chicken tinola recipe that will have you go back for seconds and thirds! Ready in 35 minutes.
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small white onion (finely sliced into half moon)
- 2 thumb size ginger (peeled and finely sliced into sticks)
- 1 1/2 pound chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 2 small zuchinni (chopped into bite size chunks)
- 2 small yellow squash (chopped into bite size chunks)
- 2 baby bok choy (sliced half lengthwise)
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil, onions and ginger and sautee for 3-5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Make sure onion and ginger cover the bottom of the pot.
- Place chicken thighs on top and add fish sauce – do not stir.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add enough water to just cover the chicken and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until chicken’s internal temperature reaches 170-175 degrees.
- Add chopped zucchni and yellow squash. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until zucchini is tender.
- Add sliced bok choy, cover and cook for 3-5, until tender.
- The chicken is ready to eat once the internal temperature reaches 180º.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over a scoop of white rice and pour about a cup of the broth.
For an added kick use a small bowl to mix a tablespoon of fish sauce and a squeeze of lemon. Sprinkle over the dish, a bite at a time.
Keywords: recipe, poultry, stew