Basic Congee Recipe – 粥
This silky, savory basic Chinese congee recipe is perfect if you’re feeling under the weather – AND makes the best comfort food!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Rice Recipes
- Method: Simmered
- Cuisine: Chinese
Basic Congee Ingredients:
- 1 thumb size ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup medium or long grain white rice
- 10 cups low sodium chicken broth or dashi broth (use wakame seaweed dashi for vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Chopped scallions
- Sesame oil
- Fried tofu
- Chili crisp
- Fried shallots
- Rinse the rice to move excess starch, drain well and transfer to a bowl. Fill the bowl with water until the rice is submerged and soak for 20 minutes. Then drain the uncooked rice again.
- In a large pot, add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the rice, ginger and salt and stir. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour. Add more water if the consistency is too thick.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
Leftover congee can be kept covered in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Keywords: rice recipe, porridge, okayu, jook, easy recipe