Baked General Tso Chicken Recipe
This is a healthy baked general Tso chicken recipe – Baked chicken pieces tossed in a tangy and sweet sauce. Delish!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main
- Method: Baking, pan frying
- Cuisine: Chinese American
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg (beaten)
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- For the sauce:
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil or regular sesame oil
- 2 Chinese dried red chiles (finely sliced (optional))
- sesame seeds
- Move one of the oven racks to the upper-middle part and preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Cover a large cooking tray with parchment paper.
- Place three large bowls one next to another and fill the first one with flour, the second with eggs and the last one with crushed corn flakes.
- Dip each piece of chicken in flour and egg and cover with crushed cornflakes, while gently pressing to coat. Place on cooking tray.
- Bake in the oven for about 13 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and cornflakes are golden brown.
- Meanwhile put all the ingredients for the sauce- except for cornstarch – in a medium size pot and bring to a gentle boil. Give the cornstarch and water a quick stir and slow add to the sauce while stirring. Cook for a minute until sauce thickens and turn the heat off.
- Take chicken out of the oven and transfer to a large pan. Turn the heat on to low and pour sauce over the chicken, coating each piece evenly while tossing. *If you are adding sesame seeds, sesame oil and dried red chiles, this is the time to add them.
- Turn the heat off, transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
You can also use panko breadcrumbs. I have never tried it myself but others have said it’s just as delicious!
Keywords: recipe, poultry, sweet and sour