Meatless Meatballs with Sweet & Sour Sauce
These Vegetarian Meatballs taste so close to the real thing, you won’t be able to tell the difference!
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: main
- Cuisine: American
- 300 grams vegan ground beef
- 1 thumb size ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon corn or potato starch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 2–3 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
- 1 stalk scallion (finely chopped)
Sweet and sour sauce:
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn or potato starch mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- Add all the ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl and mix well using your fingers.
NOTE: If you are using ground beef granules such as Gardein and Morning Star, briefly pulse the mixture in blender.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop up the mixture (this ensures all the meatballs will be the same size) and roll the mixture between your palms. Set the meatball aside on a plate and repeat the process until all the mixture has been used.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add oil and after a minute, the meatballs. Fry for a few minutes on each side (for a total of 8-10 minutes) until the meatballs are cooked through.
- While the meatballs are cooking, add all the ingredients for the sauce- EXCEPT for the corn/potato starch mixture – into a bowl and mix well.
- Remove the meatballs and lay them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Using the same pan over medium heat, add sauce mixture and stir for one minute. Add corn/potato starch and water mixture and cook for another minute or until sauce has thicken a little.
- Put the meatballs back into the pan and cook for a minute with the sauce, moving them around so all the sides are coated.
- Transfer the meatballs onto a plate or a bowl, sprinkle scallions on top and serve with warm rice.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 9.3 g
- Sodium: 2547.3 mg
- Fat: 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 8.1 g
- Protein: 28.4 g
- Cholesterol: 100 mg
Keywords: recipe, meatless meatballs