- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 105 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Noodles
- Cuisine: Italian
- 12 lasagna sheets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup button mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- handful fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 large egg
- 15 oz partly skimmed ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup skimmed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- sprinkle nutmeg
- In a small pot on medium heat, melt the butter and add flour. Stir constantly until the mixture turns golden brown (about 4 minutes). Heat the milk in a separate pot until warm but not boiling. Slowly add the milk to the flour and butter and whisk constantly until mixture thickens to the consistency of gravy (or a little thicker). Add salt and grate a little fresh nutmeg or about 1/2 tsp ready grated nutmeg. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Assembling The Lasagna
- It’s time to assemble the lasagna: In a baking dish, start by spreading a layer of tomato sauce. Add a layer of lasagna noodles, a layer of ricotta and a layer of tomato sauce. Repeat the same thing twice more. Top the last layer of noodles with sauce and leftover grated parmesan cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Take the lasagna out of the oven, heat up the bechamel and pour it over the lasagna. Serve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
- In a medium size pot on high heat, add olive oil, garlic, onions, celery and bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the water’s evaporated and the veggies are starting to caramelize. Add mushrooms, lower heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes. Add wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated (about 3 minutes.) Add crushed tomatoes, fresh parsley, sugar, salt and pasta sauce, stir and bring to boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Check on the sauce and give it a quick stir once in a while to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the lasagna sheets for about 9-10 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a bowl, mix the egg, ricotta and 1/2 cup or parmesan. Set aside.
- Calories: 1009
- Saturated Fat: 20