Tofu Scramble with Soy Mirin Clams
Tofu scramble with flavors from the sea! Clams cooked in sake, soy and mirin sauce fried with tofu and vegetables.
- Author: Caroline Phelps
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 1/2 small carrot (peeled and cut into small strips)
- 1/2 small onion (finely chopped)
- 5 shiitake mushrooms (soaked in water for dried ones)
- 2 tablespoons green peas (thawed in hot water if you are using frozen ones)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 10 ounces can baby clams + 2 tablespoons reserved clam juice
- 14 ounces block medium firm tofu
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
- Wrap tofu in paper towel (this removes excess water). Repeat a few times until tofu feels dry.
- In a bowl, mix sake, soy sauce and mirin. Set aside.
- Remove the stem of each shiitake mushroom and slice into thin strips.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add sesame oil, canola oil, onions, carrots, shiitake mushrooms and green peas and cook for 4 minutes until vegetables have soften.
- Add clams and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tofu by breaking small pieces with your fingers.
- Add sake, soy, mirin sauce and stir well.
- Push food to one side of the pan and break the egg on the other.
- Stir the egg with a spatula until almost cooked and slowly mix it in with the tofu scramble.
- Add scallions, mix well and season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Keywords: recipe, seafood, side