Spicy Apple Orange Salad
I love decadent desserts just like the next person but sometimes I crave a little something light. a little spicy and fruity.Thai chilies are a wonderful way to add a little heat to dishes. Since they can be quite hot, it’s best to only use one or two at a time.
Yesterday I bought some honeycrisp apples, my favorite kind because they’re light and as the name says it, very crispy. Instead of serving them sliced with some cheese as I often do, I wanted to create a really refreshing dessert to balance out a heavy dinner I’d cooked. I mixed the apple slices with some oranges and let them marinate in a little lemon juice and thai chilies for about 2 hours. The result was quite spectacular; hot enough to make your lips tingle, the taste of the chilies really developed well with the sweetness from the apples and citrus of the lemon and oranges. I’m happy to report there were no leftovers! This fruit salad is so delicious that I’ll be making it again tonight!
Spicy orange apple salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Dessert, Salad
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan
- 1 honeycrisp apple (peeled, cored and finely sliced)
- 1 navel orange (peeled and segmented)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Thai chili (seeded and finely chopped)
- Put the apple and orange slices in a large bowl. Squeeze whatever juice is left from the orange membrane into the bowl. Dispose of the membrane. Squeeze a little lemon juice and add the chopped thai chili without the seeds. Mix well, refrigerate for about 2 hours and serve cold.
- Calories: 89
so simple and yet so delicious, i love the flavour of chilli in my salad. its a great recipe!