Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Kimchi (made in a rice cooker)
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Kimchi
I can never say no to slow cooker short ribs – the meat is so tender it falls off the bone and the whole thing tastes like the best home made comfort food. My slow cooker short ribs recipe has more vegetables than beef because I like my meals to be 80% vegetables and 20% meat. For me, the perfect bite is a little shredded beef mixed in with lots and lots of veggies! But you can change it around and add more beef if you’d like. Just make sure you take out some vegetables otherwise your slow cooker might end up too full!
I’m using the slow cook setting on my rice cooker to make this dish. The temperature is the same as a traditional slow cooker (I double checked), so there’s no need to worry about the result coming out differently. You too will end up with a gorgeous plate of slow cooker short ribs with kimchi and a healthy mountain of vegetables.
And if you wish you had a rice cooker that also functions as a slow cooker/steamer/porridge/ ( an everything machine 😉 ), I have an AMAZING giveaway coming up tomorrow! Tiger USA has agreed to give away their amazing JAX T10U model to ONE lucky winner, so stay tuned!
I’m using kimchi and Korean chili flakes for these slow cooker short ribs because I am a big, HUGE fan of Korean food. I love soondubu jigae, bibimbap… Basically anything that’s cooked in a clay pot and served sizzling or bubbling hot! These slow cooker short ribs have a good amount of heat and are slightly pungent and sweet. To me they taste pretty close to authentic Korean cuisine and the entire thing is simply delicious over rice!
This is a pretty filling dish so if you want to serve it with something else on the side, I recommend going lighter with dishes such as easy cucumber kimchi, a daikon miso soup or kabocha squash simmered in dashi broth. Just like most crockpot and slow cooker dishes, these short ribs will taste better the next day, so make sure to save yourself a bowl for tomorrow’s lunch!
Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Kimchi
This is an easy and tasty recipe for slow cooker short ribs with kimchi. Korean flavors are infused in this delicious Asian style beef stew.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 300 minutes
- Total Time: 310 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Main, Beef
- Cuisine: Korean, Slow Cooker
- 1 pound short ribs
- 1 medium potato (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 medium onion (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 ounces snow peas
- 8 ounces Napa cabbage (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup kimchi (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- For the sauce:
- 1 thumb size ginger (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Korean chili flakes (gochugaru)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup water
- Set your slow cooker to 199ºF (should be the low setting)
- In a pan over high heat, add 1 tablespoon neutral oil (vegetable, grape seed or canola) and sear the short ribs on each side for a few minutes, until the meat is golden brown.
- Add short ribs, kimchi and all the ingredients for the sauce to the slow cooker. Stir and cook for 3 hours.
- Add vegetables and cook for 2 hours.
- To add more pungency, add 1 tablespoon fish sauce (this step is optional).
- Serve over rice.
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.