Roasted Zucchini with Chickpeas and Lemon Zest
Featured in Bon Appetit magazine as a best summery chickpea recipe, this vegetarian salad is simple, quick and extremely refreshing! Zucchinis develop a wonderful caramelized texture when roasted and can be eaten on their own with just a little salt and pepper. This chickpea recipe came together after a long day’s work when I felt too tired to go to the supermarket. With very few items in my pantry (I don’t keep a lot of food in the house, opting instead to shop for fresh ingredients almost daily) I combined zucchini with chickpeas to make a fast appetizer.
Roasted zucchini chickpea salad
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Salad, Appetizer
- 2 medium zucchini (sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 10.5 ounce can chickpeas (drained)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zest lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Meanwhile prep all your ingredients. In a sheet tray, lay some parchment paper and put the zucchini slices on top, spacing them apart evenly (it’s best if no slices are touching otherwise they may stick together). Put in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the bottom is caramelized. Turn each slice over and cook for another 10 minutes or so.
- Take the tray out of the oven and let cool. When the zucchini is room temperature, add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I like to add a little more salt to this salad, about 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt. It adds more punch to the otherwise delicate flavors.
- Calories: 163
- Saturated Fat: 2