Ginger and scallion noodles with pork and pickled daikon
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
Ginger and scallion noodles with pork
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Noodles, Pork
For the sweet soy pork:
- 1/2 teaspoon boneless pork chops
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 small head cabbage (finely chopped)
- 7 shiitake mushrooms (finely chopped)
For pickled daikon:
- 1 cup daikon (cut in thin (1/8th of an inch) small pieces)
- 2 shiitake mushrooms (finely chopped, optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Ginger and scallion noodles:
- 3 stalks scallions (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 250 grams egg noodles ((yaki soba and ramen noodles are also good))
- In a bowl, mix soy sauce and sugar. Microwave for 15 seconds to melt the sugar. Stir and add sesame oil and garlic. Stir well and let cool. When the marinade is room temperature, add it to a ziploc bag (or tupperware is also fine) along with the pork. Let the air out, close the bag and marinate in the fridge for about 2-3 hours.
- Directions for pickled daikon: In a bowl, mix sugar, rice vinegar and salt. Microwave for 15 seconds to melt the sugar. Add daikon and shiitake mushrooms, and let marinate for at least an hour.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add your noodles and cook according to the directions on the package.
- In a medium size pan, add 2 tbsp oil and bring the heat to medium/high. When the oil is hot, add shallots, a pinch of salt and cook for about 5 minutes (until the scallions are a deep golden brown color. Almost charred.) In a large mixing bowl, add 2tbsp oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, scallions, shallots and a pinch of salt. Add cooked noodles and mix well.
- Now that the noodles are done, all we have left to do is to cook the pork, cabbage and shiitake mushrooms. In a large pan over high heat, add the pork and the marinade, and the cabbage. Cook until the cabbage is well cooked and soft (about 6 minutes). Check that the pork is well cooked too. Set them aside and add the shiitake mushrooms to the pan. Add a little more oil and cook for 2 minutes.
- This will give the mushrooms a nice smoky flavor as they will be picking up all that’s left at the bottom of the pan. Add mushrooms and cabbage to the bowl of noodles and mix well.
- Slice the pork bite size.
Putting all the ingredients together:
- Put noodles and veggies in a serving bowl and nicely place a few pieces of pork on top. With chopsticks (or your hands), make a little mound of pickled daikon and shiitake next to the pork.
- Serve with fish sauce and/or more rice vinegar.
- Calories: 559
- Saturated Fat: 2
Pickled Plum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.