Potato celery soup
Creamy with chopped celery, this soup is light and comforting at once.
Why potato and celery soup instead of the classic leek and potato? Because I had a ‘Chopped’ moment at the supermarket. I did originally want to make a leek and potato soup but the supermarket had run out of leeks. Slightly alarmed since I didn’t want to use carrots again (most of my soup recipes contain carrots and I wanted to keep this vegetable soup looking a nice champagne color), I spent a few minutes deep in thoughts as I looked at my options. It was a very bad vegetable day at the supermarket; very few options were available, I’d never seen the store so empty!
Then I thought about an old favorite of mine: Campbell’s cream of celery soup. Most people like cream of mushrooms but I had a penchant for cream of celery. I loved the mild flavor of the soup combined with little pieces of chopped celery that were added for texture. I used to break up a few saltines on top and wait until they’d absorb some of the liquid. Cream of celery was one of my favorite snacks.
Grabbing a bunch of celery, I decided to give it a try. Potato and celery are vegetables with mild flavors that are often used together in other recipes (potato salad). I would do the same as Campbell’s: blend the soup until it’s creamy, using 2% milk and boil some chopped celery separately to add in the end, for texture. I also wanted to keep it simple just like all my other soup recipes. This way, they are easy and healthy go to recipes for busy work days. This potato and celery soup is delicious by the way; it’s light and comforting, and a great vehicle for breaking up saltines to dust!
Potato and celery soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 85
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrates 31g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium size onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium size potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
6 celery stalks, chopped bite size (reserve 2 chopped stalks in a separate bowl)
6 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cup 2% milk
4 scallions, thinly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a medium pot of water to boil and add potatoes. Boil the potatoes until cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot over high heat, add olive oil, garlic and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
3. Add 4 chopped celery stalks and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Add vegetable broth, stir and bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low (should still be slightly bubbling) for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile in another small pot, bring a little water to boil (about half full) and add the remaining two celery stalks (chopped). Boil on low for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
6. Back to the soup: Turn the heat off, add potatoes to broth and blend until smooth. Add milk and stir well.
7. Turn the heat back on low, add boiled chopped celery, season with salt and pepper, and serve topped with a few scallions.
Pickled Plum http://pickledplum.com/